Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Gift of Flight

Flight.

There are so many meanings that can be derived from the word.  This week, it had a dual meaning for me.

First, to the re-initiation of my running program.  I realized last night that I've seriously slacked in the running department over the past three weeks.  I've still been doing some sort of workout 3-4 times per week, but had only been running 1-2 times and for relatively short distances.  Yesterday was my first day "back".

It was terrible.

Remember the sputtering sensation from one of my last blog posts?  This was round #2.  I only did two 12-minute intervals for a grand total of just over 2 miles.  What's worse?  I kept getting slower, and slower...  Today, however, was a new day.

Today, I was a super hero.  I planned on increasing my time and running three 12-min intervals.  Midway through my second interval, I felt this sense of calm settle in.  My pace was good, my breathing steady and even.  I felt like I could go forever.

So, I stretched the third interval out an extra 4-5 minutes.  Altogether (warm-up and cool-down included), I went 5 miles.  =)  I'M BACK IN TRAINING!!!  My feet (finally) took flight and it felt great to run.

...which brings me to my next piece of news.  I went for a "Discovery" flight this week with a flight instructor.  She let me steer the plan on the ground, fly some turns and different headings in the air, and even keep my hands and feet on the controls as she maneuvered through the takeoff and landing.

Yes, I've flown since I was a kid.  And yes, until now I've taken it for granted.  But there was something about sitting in the left seat for the first time that got me thirsty for more.

I start formal flight training on March 4th.  It will likely take about a year to complete--and pretty much my entire "disposable" income (forget all the fru-fru spending)--but by August, 2012 I will earn my wings.  I'm sure of it.  =)

That's the big news!

1 comment: